Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Russian Christmas



Merry Christmas Global Kitchen fans!

A while back, I got my hands on a junior high textbook that was all about the holiday food traditions from around the world. It was a fascinating read, as you can imagine!

I have to admit, for as much as I love ethnic food, when it comes to the holidays I am a traditionalist. Having said that, I really wanted to try making a holiday meal from another country- which is why I chose Russian!

Russians really enjoy celebrating Christmas, especially since the fall of communism. Starting in 1917, Christmas was banned in Russia to solidify a secular state for the ruling communist party. However, as of 1992 (with the fall of the Soviet Union) Christmas traditions are stronger than ever!

The foods that I read about present at Russian Christmas dinner tables are surprisingly similar to ones in the United States. For example, roast goose with apples is a main course in Russia at Christmas. Although my family always had turkey, I know many American families have roast goose at Christmas, and I had always wanted to try it.

So a Russian Christmas menu it was!

My Russian Christmas dinner menu starts with a true Russian classic: Borscht. Borscht is a gorgeous soup that is primarily made with beetroot, which gives it it's signature reddish jewel color. It is warm and delicious and a beautifully colorful dish to look at on a cold, icy winter's day! My main course is the roast goose with apples, and on the side I am serving a traditional, simple dish that is a favorite in the Russian countryside: roast potatoes and mushrooms. Russian tea cakes are a popular Christmas cookie that have made their way over here as well (I grew up eating these at Christmas!), and to finish it off with a unique Russian touch is iced Russian Vodka. Russians pride themselves in making some of the world's best vodkas. I am serving it the way that I saw it served at a Russian restaurant: in a block of ice. Not only is it a nice presentation, but it keeps it icy cold (which makes it nicer to drink).

In traditional Russian cuisine, the foods and ingredients are reflective of the cold, harsh climate. These foods were meant to give as much warmth and energy as possible to survive the winters, so starchy, high carbohydrate foods and high protein/ fat foods became the main components in the cuisine. On a chilly Christmas night, this wonderful Russian holiday menu should warm you up as well! Merry Christmas! Prijatnovo appetita! S Rozhdestvom!

Recipes:
http://www.food.com/recipe/russian-borscht-440516
http://www.food.com/recipe/roast-goose-with-apples-440375
http://www.food.com/recipe/russian-roasted-potatoes-with-mushrooms-440517
http://www.food.com/recipe/russian-tea-cakes-440380
http://www.food.com/recipe/iced-russian-vodka-440518

Photos by Sommer Clary


No comments:

Post a Comment